Sunday, September 25, 2011

carrot cake

On Thursday I had the day off so I spent it making a big pot of ham and lima bean soup. I also made a carrot cake. The carrot cake turned out to be delicious.

In fact, I am going to make it again this afternoon to bring with us to church tonight.

I would like to try adding raisins to it. I love carrot cake with raisins.

Note: I am not one of those awesome bloggers who takes pictures of every step and then the finished product. While I like the idea, I just won't take the time to do it.

Here is the recipe if you want it. It came out of the New Better Homes and Gardens cookbook with a few minor changes made by me:

Best Ever Carrot Cake


  • 4 beaten eggs


  • 2 cups all-purpose flour


  • 2 cups sugar


  • 2 teaspoons baking powder


  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon


  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 


  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda


  • 3 cups finely shredded carrots, lightly packed


  • 3/4 cup cooking oil


  • 1 1/2 finely chopped walnuts (optional)


  • One recipe of Cream Cheese Frosting


  • Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease and flour two 9x1 1/2 inch round cake pans; set pans aside.

    In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda. In a medium bowl combine eggs, carrots, oil, and walnuts. Add egg mixture to flour mixture; stir until combined. Pour batter into the prepared pans.

    Bake at 350 oven for 30-35 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely on racks. Frost tops and side with frosting. If desired, sprinkle chopped pecans over frosting. Store cake in the fridge for up to 3 days.

    *The carrots need to be finely shredded or they may sink to the bottom of pan during baking.

    I chose to make mine a sheetcake. I baked it for approximately 40 minutes.


    Cream Cheese Frosting
    1 8 oz. package of cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup (stick) butter
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    6 cups powdered sugar

    Beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar until combined.


    As you can tell from the fact that the frosting has 6 cups of powdered sugar in it, it makes a lot of icing. But I love icing and I wanted my cake to have a thick layer of icing on it. And let me tell you, it did.

    This is a moist cake with a thick layer of rich frosting on top and I highly recommend it.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment