Friday, October 18, 2013

oxley

As a child, we visited Oxley Nature Center quite often. Now that I am an adult, it's been quite a while since I have been there.

Justine and I went running at Oxley today.

It was wonderful.

I found myself distracted by the clover growing on parts of the trails. I always want to look for a four leaf clover.

It was chilly outside and my bare legs were cold when we first started to run and the air hurt my lungs. I quickly adjusted to the temperature and soon welcomed the breeze across my face. I realized it was the perfect temperature to run in, I was neither cold nor hot.

As we ran, a small shower went overhead and I loved listening to the rain patter against the dead leaves on the ground and feel the drop smatter across my forehead.

We ran through grass. The wet seeped through my shoes. Soon I could hear the water squishing around in my socks.

At two miles I was tired and wanted to walk, but Justine encouraged me to see if I could go a bit further. At two and a half miles my body resigned itself to the fact that I was going to be continuing running and the rest of the run was quite easy. We ended up running almost five and a half miles. I ran twelve minute miles, so I ran the first five miles in exactly one hour. That felt good. In the end what stopped me, was my knees, they were getting stiff and my legs were starting to be tired and giving out, I could feel myself slowing.

Standing on the side of the trail, Justine saw a deer, I was behind her and didn't see it.

As were turning around at the end of a trail, we saw an opossum standing frozen, one paw raised, tail stuck straight out behind it, hoping against all hope that if it didn't move we may not spot it.

It was so good to be out in nature running all sorts of trails; mown grass, pavement, packed down dirt, gravel, tire tracks in a field, and cleared paths in the woods, hopping over fallen logs and avoiding holes.

We rewarded ourselves with a Diet Coke.



No comments:

Post a Comment