Thursday, March 6, 2014

all in a day's work

It was thirty-four degrees and I was driving down the highway with all the windows down. 

I got to work yesterday morning and started in on the pile of dishes. A few minutes later, my employer got off the phone and greeted me. She informed me that the rug, which we all had been smelling for the past few weeks, was finally going to be brought in to be cleaned. And could I take it?

It is a round, ten foot, shag rug.  Their puppy had been sneaking around the house and peeing on it. Because of the thickness and color of it, it went unnoticed for a long time. She had caught him pooping on it a couple of times, and cleaned that up. We all thought the smell was a residual effect from that. It wasn't. 

The smell wasn't that alarming, you might catch a whiff as you walked by, but the room was the formal living room and hardly ever used. 

When she lifted the rug to inspect the reason for the smell, she discovered that the dog had peed on it several times. She thought twenty. 

A professional cleaner was called. We went in to roll up the rug. The smell was overwhelming once you began to move the rug. The dog had peed on it, close to forty times, I'd say. 

We carried it out to my car. It was so heavy! We could barely lift it off the floor. I put the seats down and we managed to shove it into the car. We closed the doors and went in to iron out the details of where it was to be dropped off. 

The five minutes I was inside, had made the smell overwhelming. I opened my car door and quickly realized this wasn't going to work. I turned the car on and unrolled all windows, including the back window vents of my mini-van. I turned the heat up and turned it towards me. Off I went, across town. When I say, across town, I mean that literally. The place she had chosen was on the complete opposite side of town from where they lived. 

When it's thirty-four degrees outside and you are going 70mph, your ears get quite cold. 

I was loath to change lanes to the right, because that meant I had to turn toward the rug. Even driving down the highway with all the windows rolled down, I would get a nose full fairly often. 

When I finally got to the street the rug cleaner was supposed to be on, I couldn't find it. I ended up going too far and having to turn around, I found myself looking intently for the building hoping to see it and thus rid myself of the rug. I found it. Three men came out and hoisted it on their shoulders and brought it inside. I was glad to be rid of it. Their comment? "Quite the pet action going on there." You could say that again. 

I got back in the car, rolled my window up, left the passenger window cracked, and left all the other windows down. My goal was to air out the van on the way home.

I don't think my car suffered any residual effects. It seems to have aired out nicely.

I didn't wake up expecting to take a urine saturated rug across town, but that's just what I did. That's the nature of my job, you never know what to expect. 

It was an adventure. Before I left her house, she asked, "Are you sure about this? It smells awful, I feel bad asking you to take it." My response? "It'll make a great story later!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment